Sunday, March 20, 2005

Terminating a Pregnancy

On the Discovery Channel the other night, there was this amazing program on how a baby is formed--pretty graphic and educational and what all of us know but to see it at various stages--wow! Makes you think about the idea of abortion. My basic view has always been that when a child can live outside the body, then it is a person. The drag is that it is definitely forming from the very beginning. I think that I'm going to have to go "situation ethics" on the process. When someone asked me what I believe, I can't make a definitive statement for or against--"tell me the situation" and then I would tell you what I think. What I would fear in taking a stand is to be in the ballpark of the zealots. Life is very complicated.

Comment: the thing that has always angered me is that couples who just have sex - no thought to what might happen - then just have an abortion. Nothing clear cut here, but I do have very strong feelings in some areas.

Comment: Here's my view. I am a Nurse and believe this: soul assignment. When a child is born, God assigns that child a soul and then it is a real person. All else before then is just trappings.

No comments: