Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Sincere Beliefs On Both Sides

I've been following theTerri Schiavo case as I'm sure you guys have. What are your thoughts? I think I probably know. It's a neo con issue: don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up. Just like Million Dollar Baby, the movie, is a left wing plot, the same as SongeBob is gay. I don't want to put words in your mouth and would hope that the 10 chaps operate from reason as opposed to a party line. From my perspective, talk about screwing up a "two car funeral procession," the government can do it. Now, they've only muddled it. Why we can't let the poor woman died is beyond me: fifteen years she hasn't known she is in the world. Sad and somehow, to me it is so weird: doesn't the faith teach us that this world is not my home.

THE PARTY LINE OF THE RIGHT TO DIE PEOPLE

No, I don’t believe that SpongeBob is gay… and I have not seen Million Dollar Baby so I can’t comment. BUT, As to Terri, yes, I can comment. Would love to meet you out by the beach and have a snack. Which leads me to what I think about starving someone to death.
Can’t believe that this is the biggest issue.

Had this “husband” been consistent and had he remained faithful until the decision was made, most of this nation would say that Terri is his wife and that he represents her wishes.
But he started off saying that she should live and be cared for and get therapy, etc.
Then he got the money to do so and his mind changed. Now he wants her dead.
I am not really sure about his motives.
The parents want her to live.

They believe that she is communicating through her smiles and other facial responses.
So who has the right to make the decision, a loyal mom and dad or a gutless guy who could have divorced Terri and gone on his merry way but for some reason(s) decided that he would just rather have children by another woman and stay married to Terri?
I vote that the parents should have the right.
I vote that the “husband” gave up the right to be husband and have the say-so.
NOW
If you insist that the starving her to death is the issue, then:
I vote with whatever she put down on paper and signed.
I don’t believe for a minute that she told her husband one thing and her parents another about her preferences.

She is not in a persistent vegetative state. But I would not want to be kept alive in the same situation. I believe heaven is better. However, I don’t want to turn to judges or doctors to make such decisions. They are not capable or qualified to speak for every person and every situation. I would decide in favor of life for Terri based on her parent’s desires. At times I have tried to help a family decide to pull the feeding tube. I remember a lady in Crestview FL nursing home who could not hear or respond. She appeared to be in a coma but still her family could not pull the tube. They could and would have taken away any heroic measures. But simple food and water they could not remove. I certainly would have decided to do so, but that was not something they would consider.

No comments: