Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Male Chauvanist Bible

Was reading in the Old Testament this morning: I think I told you I read that One a Day Bible, where you read all the way through every year. Always something different or I read something and think, "Wow, having seen this before." This morning David discovers that Saul is really trying to kill him and he goes to the Priest for food and the Priest says that he only has consecrated bread. David says that will be fine but then the Priest says, I can't give it to you if your men have been with women. David says, they have not: even though the battle may be unholy, their "things" are holy.

So, I guess a woman's "thing" is unholy if you are a literalist; I am often amazed at how the paternal themes run through the Bible: it is very hard to be a women and if you think about it, the theme especially with Paul, in the New Testament is the same; plus, wouldn't you love to hear a preacher preach a sermon on this topic. Funny.

Strange, that you and I are both with the Bible on our minds. I have been thinking about
the Bible quite a bit the last couple of days - don't have time to go into my thoughts now,
but will later. It is funny that men are "holy" regardless and women are the evil force in
the lives of men - at least, in the Bible. Just like with David and Bathsheba - she was the
evil one - leading David on - taking baths in the courtyard - and, David was just an innocent. Now, I'm on a tangent.

No comments: