Wednesday, July 24, 2013

RELIGION AS OPIATE

As to your last comment, isn't it said that religion is the opiate of the masses...

I did want to comment on the above. As a very earthy type, I would respond relatively speaking, as examples with these 8-12 guys I hang out with. We are together about three breakfasts a week. We've been hanging out for years. There are a couple of lapsed Catholics, five or six proclaimed atheists, a Jew who is now a Zen Buddhist and then another of some other brand of Buddhist. And, when they asked me if I am a Christian, what they mean is not the, "are you saved, washed in the blood, etc," they mean, what is my religion? 

Fortunately for me being a Christian has always been easy. I haven't  wrestled with issues like some. I  embraced early and accept it as faith. And, have always seen it that way: can't prove it, etc. You either believe or you don't and I really have, as you would say, no dog in the hunt. I don't care, not in a callous way; what you believe. It is up to you. Having said that, my experience, which I often share in these heavy discussions, is that in crisis, to believe in the hereafter, for example, is comforting, regardless of one's beliefs or lack thereof. I think Americans are spiritual people and may be more cultural than anything. My dad (or mom), for instance, never went to church. Yet, Dad insisted that I go because he believed it was a good socializing experience.

It is why we say, everybody from the president on down, "our prayers are with you." Do we really mean we are praying? No, not really, it is an expression. My seminary professor and mentor, Dr. Boyce, use to say, "if you want to know my beliefs, I will tell you. If you want to argue, I don't have time." I had much rather be hanging out with a bunch of self proclaimed non-believers than a bunch of fundamentalist Christians. Religion in American life is very strange, I think. For instance, we do not have a single Protestant on the Supreme Court, yet very hard core Catholics. Roberts goes to Mass every single day. Does that influence his decisions. I think so. God bless (an expression) LOL. My best to Jerry. 

{{{{{{{Jerry}}}}}} 

No comments: