Friday, July 26, 2013

ADVOCATING FOR THE CHAPLAIN

I've thought more and more about this. I really think that much of the problem that present day chaplains have is that we don't have anybody at the top
lobbying for us--advocating for the uniqueness of the chaplaincy. The Chief of Chaplains is probably a good guy but what I have seen for years is a lack of leadership. We all know that being a chaplain in the military is far more than religious activities. Immediately when this controversy arose, if it is a real one and not a manufactured one from Fox News or somewhere--the advocacy should be that the Army Chaplaincy is not the same as the AF or Navy. The Army Chief of Chaplains should have been doing press releases or anything, talking to anybody who would listen, how Army chaplains are assigned to "Units" and not like the AF and Navy who are assigned to bases or ships. Vast difference. The Chaplaincy is a vital part of the military's "readiness." The Army Chief should find some commander and get a quote like in the 82d, "I'd give up any officer in this decision before I'd give up my chaplain." But, what the chiefs do as far as I see is wring their hands. What have they got to be afraid of? 

I've said this before but when Dave was the 18th Abn Corp Chaplain, he had a chaplain who did his PAO stuff. You couldn't breathe unless Dave was putting out some press release. Even today, you can go to Fayetteville, NC and any civilian can tell you all about the chaplaincy. 




No comments: