Sunday, January 19, 2014

JOHN

I have a story that speaks right to the question: did I know any personally that were killed in Vietnam? (A doctoral candidate working on his thesis of Chaplains in combat.)

Several. One, my best friend ever, a Priest. John was this great guy, handsome Italian. We met in in NY, where we were both assigned for a brief period. We were inseparable. He was always mocking me about my Southern accent. We go to Vietnam together. He gets assigned to the field hospital at Phu Bai. I am in an infantry battalion not far away. We see each other lots. He falls in love with a nurse and gets involved with her, against my advice, I might add. The hospital commander is a Catholic and hardcore and tries to get him thrown out of the army. I talk our personnel people into getting him reassigned to the 101st. They do and he goes to be the Artillery chaplain. On his second day, they have a sapper attack and John is killed. I was so angry and had to deal with that over the years, the "what ifs." Even today as I write this, it is a very vivid memory and very emotional.   

No comments: