Thursday, May 02, 2013

Don't Smell 'em, Treat 'em

TREAT 'EM, DON'T SMELL 'EM

It have been a long time volunteer at UCSF, Mount Zion campus. Actually taking a little break but still out of force of habit often drop by. The other day, I ran into this guy who actually looked like a homeless person. Big baggy clothes, older guy. I don't want to be stereotypical--Who knows what a homeless person looks like or who is homeless. Anyway, I see what appears to be a hummingbird and say, "Wow, was that a hummingbird?" He says, "No, it was a", and he named a type of butterfly. It made me perk up. He then proceeds to give me a block of instruction on butterflies and what has happened to them. Then he launched into a syloquey On Monarch butterflies. They used to be everywhere, now, they are nowhere to be found. I was blown away and put it into one of those serendipity experiences. Momentarily I thought of what a nurse at the Infusion Center once said about a patient that was in fact, hygiene challenged, "We don't smell 'em, we treat 'em."

No comments: