Friday, March 30, 2012

THE BIBLE

I am not surprised at all that I am in the Bernie camp on the Scriptures. I have always believed the entire Bible to be true and free of errors and if there are any, they are man's and not God. To me, the Bible is part of the faith experience. What about some of those horrible stories of the OT. Dang if I know. Was there really someone called Job. I think so. Did God really say, "go in and kill everbody, including the babies." I doubt it but could be. I have to fall on the words of Lamar and my seminary professor, Dr Boyce. He would say on '"hard" passages," always know this: God is going to do what is right. OK. And, when hard pressed, I am going to say that I believe the Bible, the whole Bible and everything in it. I can't explain it, nor defend it. It is simply what I believe. Amen. 

{{{{{{{Jerry}}}}}} 


On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:20 AM, "Bernie Windmiller" wrote:

Have appreciated the discussion on the Holy Scriptures. I am one who believes in Biblical inerrancy. I believe the origianl manuscripts (which are extant) were free from error. To believe otherwise puts a perfect God in a precarious position. Are there errors in our NIV (or other translations)? Yes, but these are problems in transmission. Just because one Biblical writer puts an event at a different place than another, does not mean there is an error. They are writing to different people and situations and knew how and what needed to be said. That is different than a blatant knowningly error. The earliest manuscripts we have, or parts of them, are very consistent with what we have today. Once we start down the road of admitting errors, man becomes the judge of what is God's Word and what is not. Thomas Jefferson is a classic example, who could not bring himself to believe in miracles. So his NT leaves out the miracles of Jesus. He made the decision what was God's Word and what was not. I believe there are a lot less problems with accepting Biblical inerrancy than in denying it. Bernie.

No comments: