Friday, January 26, 2007

PHIL WOODALL'S MEMORIAL


HOW SHALL WE DIE

Teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. Psalms
90:12

Three score and ten years--perhaps fourscore--that is our life span, in
round numbers, according to the ancient psalmist. To a youngster in the
prime of life, seventy or eighty or ninety years seems to stretch out
in the an endless succession of days. But in fact, life has its limits;
our days are numbered. A seventy year life span equals exactly 25,567
days counting the extra days in leap years. We have no way of knowing
how many days are allotted to us. But even if we did know, a mere
numerical count of so many days would give us neither wisdom nor
virtue. Surely then, the psalmist meant something more than years when
he prayed, "teach us to number our days." When we make the psalmist's
brief prayer our own, we ask for wisdom rightly to contemplate our
mortality; but also we seek wisdom to live well all the remaining days
of our life.

This is, to me, the lesson of Phil Woodall's life. Phil passed from
this life into the next at a relatively young age: 58 but as we all
know, he lived his life, "large."

For us combat vets, we know Phil mostly as a soldier. He was not only a
good one but the best. As a member of a fire team, he distinguished
himself time and time again. His leadership was evident when he moved
to squad leader, then to the command section as the commander's Radio
Telephone Operator. Highly decorated for his tours of duty, Phil always
remained the poet. Most of us remember how, when the fighting lulled,
he would write his poetry. He would write it on toilet tissue, on c
rations boxes, anything available. In a sense, stretching from Vietnam
to throughout his life, his poetry touched the lives of scores. With
the aftermath of Vietnam, his statement, "they may have died in vain
but they lived in honor" remains the absolute definition of a
generation.

We will miss Phil, the fact that he is not physically any longer in our
world does have an impact. We will miss his presence at our reunions,
the phone calls, the emails, the new poetry scribbled on whatever he
had near. Our lives will not be the same. I think Angelo Patri had it
right: "in one sense, there is no death. The life of a soul on earth
last beyond his or her departure. We will always feel Phil's life
touching ours, that voice speaking to us, that spirit looking out of
other's eyes, talking to us in the familiar things he touched, worked
with, loved as familiar friends. Phil lives on in our lives and in the
lives of all that knew him." The "poetry" of his life lives forever.
Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Phil was my friend and I loved him very much. We never met in person but he has been my hero since the day he came into my life when I was 14 yrs old. I miss him alot. I remember I was told of his passing in an email. I cried so much it hurt that bad. I remember in the middle of night calling his phone number and I left him a voicemail even though I knew he was gone.

He was the only one who understood me, been there for me, listened to me, and even shared his feelings with me. He called me in November right before he died. He told me about going back to Vietnam and we shared alot of stories, and laughter. I asked him to be my son's Godfather. He said he would and was going to ask his father about baptism. This never happened, but forever he is my son's Godfather. My daughter was hurt that he died, he wrote her letters and sent her a copy of his book.
I miss him, he was a great man and a hero to me. He was my savior in many ways. I think I was his buddy. He would call me sometimes when he was a bit angry or had a few drinks, I would just listen to him and share stories about Vietnam. I was blessed to have been his friend, and truly regret that we never got a chance to meet. We were going to finally meet in Kokomo, IN for the Vietnam Veterans Reunion that following September. It just didn't happen.

Why did God take him away? I miss him,and I truly hurt over this everytime I think of him.

I love you Woodall! You will NEVER be forgotten and I will keep your memory alive always.