Friday, November 11, 2011

Homeless Vets Fellowship. I was flipping through the channels one night this week and saw this extensive program on public TV about homeless vets. The actual place, Homes Vets Fellowship is am actual program in Utah. I've been a little skeptical and downright critical over the years about the plight of homeless vets but may be changing my mind. My view always before is that homeless vets have lots of issues and a roof over their heads may be down the food chain: drug problems, mental illness, relational issues are closer to it. My views have been reinforced with a volunteer stint I did once with the premier vets organization, I think, Swords to Plowshares. Most have simply wasted their lives. Want to reinforce that idea, spend a few hours at a VA hospital. At VA, the vets who seem to have the most trouble are the Vietnam vets.

Without reinforcing my views, I want to recount mostly my observation on this program. The interviews were really extensive with the vets themselves.  The vets told about their lives since Vietnam and many could fit the criteria that my wife puts on it, "they were messed up before Vietnam and the war exasperated it." Maybe. And, these vets freely admitted it, if that is in fact, the case which I'm not so quick to say since I've watched the program. One commented on the fact that being with other vets made a difference. There's something about combat that creates bonding. Other vets "get it." They understand. Others talked about what happened when they came home, i.e.,  blamed for the war. No reentry. One vet related this fascinating story about literally killing a Viet Cong soldier the day before he left Vietnam. He was at his base camp when he saw a Viet Cong trying to slip under the consentina wire (jagged, needle like wire that is designed to seriously maim those trying to negotiate it) he emptied his M16 into him. The very next day he was sitting at his parents table. One vet gave this commentary: you take an 18 year old kid, send him to Vietnam to kill and expect him to come home as a normal human being. GIVE ME A BREAK. Vietnam vets, more than any other veteran population has remained skeptical of government services and VA in particular. One vet said something very typical, "it was 25 years before I went to VA and only because I was desperate.

After watching the program, here is where I am. Our government can never repay vets (especially combat vets) for what they've taken from them. Consequently, any benefit they get, they more than deserve. Thanks to all those throughout America who are attempting to help these lost vets.

No comments: